Poll: Germans pessimistic on refugees

A minority of Germans have confidence in Chancellor Angela Merkel’s “We can do it” promise of accepting refugees. The YouGov online poll recently surveyed more than 2,000 people on refugees and fear of terror attacks.

Merkel coined the motivational slogan “Wir schaffen das” (We can do it) last August during the height of the crisis as thousands of refugees were making their way to Germany on a daily basis.

But now, a year later, the internet pollster YouGov found that when 1,017 Germans were asked: “How do you feel about Merkel’s statement ‘We can do it,’ repeated several times in relation to the high number of refugees in Germany and the country’s ability to accept them and look after them?” some 48 percent said they did “not agree at all” and a further 18 percent said they “slightly disagree,” with an overall negative answer topping 66 percent.

Those who “slightly agree” were 18 percent and 8 percent were in total agreement, meaning little more than a quarter of respondents had confidence in Merkel’s promise.

That means the numbers of those who agree with Merkel’s optimism on refugees are at their lowest point since August 15, 2015, with her center-right Christian Democratic Union (CDU) party facing a general election next year.

The online poll was conducted between July 26 and 29. [Deutsche Welle] Read more